A question for the clowns out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the clowns out there

Do any of you use the screamteam clown or jester mask? N do you use their clown wigs? If so i was wondering what tips you might have for blending the white cotton fabric of the wig top into the color of your prosthetic?

Thanx
    Josh
    Senior Operator of Forest Of Fear at The Utica Zoo
    Visions Of Fear Productions

1 more

I also wanted to get peoples opinions on this idea. On the trail we have come up with a story about the woods and basically the start if it are these clowns form a carnival back in the early 1900's that was at the Zoo where a child disappeared. The clowns were blammed and chased into the forest nearby only they never came out and no one is sure what really happened to them. All this ties into other parts of the story but we were thinking of going with the clowns being ghostly and evil now, and one of them having a skull prosthetic painted like a clown and the other being normal. Thoughts on this? and if we go with the skull(bones from screamteam) do you think we should still use a wig? We were thinking the old grey salt and pepper wig they have. Any ideas or thoughts you could share on this would be greatly appreciated thanx guys

Josh

Comment

Ohhhh noooo not those guys again. I see those same guys everywhere and I think they are the least scary clowns offered. I love clowns myself but I want something really scary and bright red or purple wigs just take the scare factor away. Your skull clown idea sounds amazing I'd love to see it!!! Keep us posted clowns rule!

Jake

Comment

First off, do you already have your prosthetic from Scream Team? If not, I would do some research on them, they don't have a great history as far as customer service is concern.

If you already have your products...

I bought the Scream Team instructional DVD when I bought my clown appliances and wigs. In the DVD they show the person putting the wig on first, and then applying the appliance to their face as well as over the forehead/white part of the clown wig. The appliance is applied via Spirit Gum or Prosaid to the face, and liquid latex to the wig. You can then layer your latex to help hide the seam of the appliance on the wig and around your face. I was never able to get a picture perfect seam, as we were running on a time frame and I'm no Hollywood makeup artist, but I was fairly happy with my results.

Let me know if you have any more questions - Hope this helps!
        Zach Wiechmann
        www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Thank U!!!

No I dont have it yet but Ive seen about 50/50 on reviews so I understand what you are saying there are just very few prosthetics im interested in and the other places I've found some I've emailed (grimmbrothers) and no response so automatically Im assuming bad customer service from them. But should I go that route I will def get the dvd thanx for that info. As to the prosthetic not being scary enough I believe with any mask or prosthetic it doesnt matter how scary it looks but its all in how the actor potrays the character. But again thank you for the replies and I will keep doing my research and hopefully I can find something somewhere else

Comment

No Spirit Gum!

First and foremost, make sure you DO NOT use spirit gum on foam latex appliances. Chances are, like most of us, youre on a budget and cant afford to buy one face for each night (foam latex prosthetics are "supposed" to be used once, torn off, and thrown away). With that said, CFX Prosaid is what you want to use as your adhesive.

As far as the wig..... the big Scream Team clown wigs themselves are just fine and dandy.... for a magic or nice clown. If you get them, do something to them. I also really like your idea of a skele-clown and with that you can do a lot to the wig, depending on your color scheme. If youre going for earth tones and an almost "zombie" clown, then you can tatter the wig lick crazy, put sticks/leaves in it, etc etc

Now moving on to the application of the face. There are many to choose from. The best thing to do is always to find someone who knows life casting and get a custom appliance made for your face. The reason being is that appliances online come in all different shapes and sizes, and full faced appliances generally run larger to fit all types of actors. So two things on that 1) try to buy an appliance with multiple pieces 2) if you get a full face, be careful how you trim it; which leads me to my next point.

Thicker edges = much harder to blend. So when you finally go to put your character together, take your time when laying down your face. Prosaid takes a few minutes to completely dry and you can put it on while it's wet (unlike spirit gum which has to be tacky which lessens your application window). Laying it down is easy enough (assuming youre new at this, which you may not be, my apologies just in case) start at the bridge of the nose, followed by the brow, cheek bones, chin, and then the edges last pulling the appliance as thin as possible without tearing.

The finally when you go to color everything, I disagree with the wig being first. I would put your appliance on first. IMHO, wigs on a clown are SUPPOSED to look fake - you can even play around with how the wig looks, but definitely do appliance first. Design the makeup however you want, but remember blending to your skin is the most important part.

AVOID STRAIGHT WHITE ON WHITE BLENDING!!! It wont work... youll see edges. TEXTURES blend edges way better than straight solid colors. And you can always get away with a "rip off" effect by putting "scar tissue" makeup around all the edges.

Have fun and take your time! A character with a prosthetic should always get the most time for application. Good luck! And show us pics!

Hope this helped!
            Bryce
            Bryce Ring
            Co-owner/ Designer
            Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

O I was def gonna use pros aide no spirit gum here. N what do you recommend for makeup i started another thread asking this question but ill ask it here to. Rmgp or pax paint? Is rmgp safe for skin?

Comment

I agree with Deathwing. The "Heckles and Twitch" style clown is waaaaaay overused and seems to me as people being really lazy

Comment

I love the cfx big stoopid clown one I think i might go with this one as it seems more of the crazy serial killer i like it. You guys know which one im talking about? Thoughts on this one?

Comment

Originally posted by CNY HAUNTER View Post
                    O I was def gonna use pros aide no spirit gum here. N what do you recommend for makeup i started another thread asking this question but ill ask it here to. Rmgp or pax paint? Is rmgp safe for skin?
                    In the DVD they suggest using grease paint and setting it with talcum (Baby) powder. And I used the grease paint on my skin as well, just make sure to set it with powder otherwise it'll be a giant mess!
                    Zach Wiechmann
                    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Yeah, it really depends what style of painting you want to do. If your going for details, use grease based paint (and even cremes work really well too) but if you want a more airburshed look go with pax. And no matter what type of makeup you use, you MUST set it. Baby powder works just fine, the walmart brand powder is what I usually use and it sets it perfectly
                      Bryce Ring
                      Co-owner/ Designer
                      Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatPhantasmo View Post
                        I agree with Deathwing. The "Heckles and Twitch" style clown is waaaaaay overused and seems to me as people being really lazy
                        That's it, that's their names! Yes, they are no longer interesting or original I agree. But people are afraid of clowns though.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                        X