Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Semi Trailer Haunt Layout Help

Hello All Haunters

I am thinking about adding another haunted attraction to my haunt and considering constructed out of a semi trailer. Does anyone have pictures or diagrams of a single semi trailer haunt layout. Also is it better to do lots of small rooms or long hallways whats the best way to make a layout to a trailer haunt. Also how to build haunt facades for trailer is it best to have the trailer painted or have and a wood facade infront whats the best way . Looking for all ideas & thoughts about building a good single trailer haunt. '

Thanks
    -Matthew-
    Designer/Builder/Actor
    Halls Of Horror Attraction
    Lubbock, Texas

Hey Freak,

I have a large company 5 min's from my house and I drove down there to look at some trailers. I'm no pro, at ALL, but these are my thoughts.

First: No one trailer will be enough. Perhaps, add a few tents as rooms before and after the trailer. Making the transition to and from the trailer as safe as possible is a main concern.

Second: My thought would be to BUY a trailer. I'm looking at dryvans also, not the shipping containers. Reinforce the corners, roof and build a beam in the middle to help support the trailer. Can easily be done with a hired welder, begged friend or borrowed co-worker. Or you can knock someone out and make them do it for you, pay them and let them go on their way. Which, in case you choose the latter, I didn't tell you, this part is a joke.

After supports are built, I'd cut the sides and rebuild them to fold down, hinged at the bottom. Or build entirely new sides from scratch. I see a LOT of this done for rides at carnivals etc. Check with some folks about rules and regs on modifying a tractor trailer van.

Once you lay the sides down, you should have at least 2.5 times the area. Build some pole supports on the floor / walls and insert metal poles into them. Bolt in railings and then cover with a wall material on the inside. Go to a tent company and get fireproof tent covering for your sides. Add some lights, batt. powered exit signs and should work.

Third: Buy 3 of these trailers. Cut out door ways to each one. Maybe build some sort of bridge to set in between 2 trailers. Cover that with FP tent covering at an angle for rain to pour off of. Put velcro at the top of the Vans to help seal out water. Have them walk through 2 or 3 of these things with a few actors and should be ok.

This is all I can think of, but again, I'm not a pro at designing this stuff, but this is what came to my mind.

Good Luck with what you do.

Dewayne

Comment

Trailer

I don't believe one trailer will not be enough.

First off, I don't see how it would ever pass fire codes. With only one path of egress and, assuming it is 8' wide, you could only have one hallway all the way to the back and one back up to the front, assuming you hallways are 4'. By ADA standards, you can only go down to 44" for a hallway or opening. Not much room for, well, rooms, or actors for that matter.

The only time I have ever seen a haunter use a single trailer for a show is if they put a spinning vortex tunnel inside and have both ends open. Just a quick up-charge walk-through.

You're for sure going to need at least 3 or 4 trailers for a small haunt. I would contact some haunt owners who own trailer haunts and ask their advice.

Go to the forum Search bar and do a search for Trailer Haunts. There is a lot of great archived information hidden in these forums.

Best of luck in your new endeavor!
      Last edited by Rocky Mountain Terror; 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM.
      Chris Tillman, President
      Rocky Mountain Terror, LLC
      Trick or Terror Haunted House
      www.TerrorHaunts.com

Comment

Haunt Ventures has plenty of videos...Here's a start:

O'Shawn McClendon
        Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Nice find on the videos man! Yeah, I had time to go down and look at the trailers, but my internet was down so I didn't have a lot of time to search for stuff today lol. Search option's great

Man, that gives me an idear or two as well! They look better than I'd imagined tbh.

Thanks for posting!

Dewayne

Comment

We have 14 yrs in trailer/tent layout combos. We currently use 3 designs each year,
            each one serves a purpose according to building codes and fire inspections. We can
            share some ideas if you like. I definately would start by researching inspections
            demands before altering your trailer. Another good tip for facades is to
            definatly buy smooth side trailers, alot of people make the mistake to
            by so cheap, the ridged sides do not work good for realistic facades
            and cost you more money to camouflage in the long run.
            I use both vinyl and set design type facades, depending on how
            often you want to change themes and your storing conditions.
            It cost alot to keep painting, so with a vinyl facade you can
            save, store and use in the future with rotation. West coast
            haunters are more familiar with mobile haunts as no realestate
            is cost effective. Check out some of our mobile haunts on our facebook.
            hope this is helpful...

Comment

Haunt Ventures Did it very well BUT they are in Canada so the fire codes may be lots different there too.
              BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
              www.horrorfields.com

Comment

How is this safe? I feel like no state would pass these based on fire codes.

Comment

Same as anything else I imagine. My FM assistant said that there's no way you're going to have so many people in a trailer that the occupancy's going to be a problem. he said as long as it has 3 exits on each van they should be fine. FE's in each actor station and 2 alarms, 1 on each end. Fire proof the fabric and no standard plastic overhead. He actually liked the idea and said we should do a pair ourselves like on the video there and hit up the carnival sites!
                  But you know, I'm getting the feeling that our local FM's very lenient. Especially since we're the first folks with a Haunted House that's approached them! There's been 3 or 4 around here for the past few years, small ones but still. They said they've NEVER been called, but they've shown up! lol.

Dewayne

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
                    Same as anything else I imagine. My FM assistant said that there's no way you're going to have so many people in a trailer that the occupancy's going to be a problem. he said as long as it has 3 exits on each van they should be fine. FE's in each actor station and 2 alarms, 1 on each end. Fire proof the fabric and no standard plastic overhead. He actually liked the idea and said we should do a pair ourselves like on the video there and hit up the carnival sites!
                    But you know, I'm getting the feeling that our local FM's very lenient. Especially since we're the first folks with a Haunted House that's approached them! There's been 3 or 4 around here for the past few years, small ones but still. They said they've NEVER been called, but they've shown up! lol.

Dewayne
                    Sounds like you have great fire Marshall's! Here Cincinnati, we have some strict codes and marshals. They want sprinklers everywhere and in everything, which as you can imagine is a pain in the a** when trying to find a building. Thinking about venturing over to Kentucky. Either way, codes are always a tough battle.

Comment

Oh I'm sure they are tuff! Yeah our FM cares about us, but they're also realistic it seems. I'm trying to schedule a sit down meeting with him and have a longer talk. Of course, my town is 26kish ppl and next over 20 min's away is 60k. But Paragould here, my town, is striving to get more business in here. It's not dying, they just want to grow! So everyone around here is very eager and helpful in w/e businesses try to come in. All the folk we talk to is like "Oh hey, that sounds great, we're all for helping other businesses getting started here" So even other typical store owners are contacting folks for us, trying to get us names of owners on certain buildings. The FD has already offered some help. So I may be sitting lucky in my situation.

Back to the trailers, I'm not sure if the OP is hanging around or not but I'd like to throw my final thoughts into the pot. My wife and I have started thinking seriously about doing a pair of trailers for a 2nd element. We know 4 diff. drivers that can move the vans and it'd be a great opportunity to hit up some of the fairs around!

Dewayne

Comment

Working...
                      X