Let's Talk Vendors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Vendors

Ok guys TransWorld is right around the corner and I want everyone to stop and think and ask yourself these 2 questions.

1... Who did you right and made you happy?

2... Who bent you over the fence and took your money?

The reason I bring all this up is for all the good, hard working vendors out there who go out of their way to see that your/we're happy. It's simple they need us and we sure as hell need to support them. This past year was nothing more than a nightmare from non delivery to out right lies and props built and welded by the local high school FFA class! It's time to bond together and yell out WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE! Even seen the movie Enough with Jennifer Lopez? Watch it and learn!

Have you ever noticed some vendors are your best friends and will answer on the first ring only to have them lie and ignore your calls and emails after they have your money in their hand? I will also say this it's part my fault and your fault too when we run to TransWorld and our eyes pop open like a kid at Christmas only to forget how we were done the past season. Everyone knows I tend to be a voice on doing the right thing even if it means losing money. It's time for us to stop with the down time of shitty props and non existant customer service!

Let me throw out a perfect example of an outstanding company with EXCELLENT SERVICE and there are several don't get me wrong! Unit70 we complain that they are not at the show but what we fail to realize they don't have to because they do as a company should and what you see is WHAT YOU GET! When I call and leave a message they return my calls sometimes not right away but they do. Then I place my order and give them my deposit, they ask me when I need it by and never fail to make my deadline. They ALWAYS call to say were sending out your products Shane. I have NEVER ONCE HAD THEM SAY! YOUR STUFF IS READY WE NEED FINAL PAYMENT BEFORE WE SHIP! When I recieve my order they call and say Shane did you get your stuff? Did it arrive in good shape? Are you having any problems with it? After all that they say we will email you your balance THEY NEVER TALK BALANCE TILL THEY SEE I AM 100% happy!!!. Heck if anything I have to hound them to pay them to get them off my books and WHY YOU ASK? Because they treat me just like I treat them and thats with RESPECT AND TRUST! I been in Business 20 years and run my company pretty much by these practices so I must be doing something right.

I know of many other good guys out there that have very same practices I just know Bo and Brady don't care if I use them for examples. You got other great companies out there Edge Designs, Posion Props, Ghostride, Nightscreams, Fright Props and many more you get the idea. Heck take Larry and his magazine I can say he is the ONLY one that does send out what he say's

We should be placing more bigger orders with these smaller companies than looking into spending $50,000 plus with companies that only care about you posting a picture of you rebuilding the shit they sent you. Also we shoud start to get the same items we buy at the show. If it's gray at the show then I liked it and the color DO NOT SEND ME ANY GREEN COLORED SHIT! You guys get where I am going here.

I also say we all should start keeping better contact with others and putting out watch emails for vendors who just don't give a damn about us. This is our money and unlike some vendors who take all year we only have a matter of weeks to make the most of our investments. I wanna add we need to start showing and calling these people out on the show floors because if we can save our brother or sister in this industry heartache and loss of money then we have done a great thing. Bottom line if we can trust them then they should trust us or we as an Industry need to stop doing business with one sided, vendor only rules! It should be trust on both sides. We should stop buying from companies that say half down and half on delivery it's costing us! I will say this I totally respect a vendor to treat new customers with one set of rules but us regular guys that keeps handing out money need's to have a seperate set of rules!

I as always have rambled here but the point is we need to start putting our money with companies who care and respect us. IT'S A TWO WAY STREET! Sticking together is what we need to do.

When you go to the show this year make sure you sew up loose ends, spend money with people that care and want to see you come back again not just spend a boat load and leave you hanging. Something else I encourage everyone to do is video all the crap that's not working then when you go to sue you got it all on tape I have got a dang Hollywood movie but folks video don't lie!!!

Again for the most part our Industry has a great bunch of hard working vendors but it's the fly by night or we are the biggest companies out there and I/we will treat you like I want company! Is what we need to start addressing!

Bottom line lets remember those who took care of us and those who laughed all the way to the bank at our expense! Shane and it's I CARE I REALLY DO! Shane
    Last edited by graystone; 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM.
    sigpic

Preach on brother, preach on !!!!

Comment

Shane,

I could not agree more!! I'm starting to see both sides of the fence, as a haunter buying product, and now as a vendor making customers happy! As a vendor, I'll go way out of my way to make everything perfect, I want all customers to be 110% satisfied! We've already got some big name clients who would back that up!

As for being a buyer, here's my list of great companies to deal with:

Froggy's Fog
      DarkLight
      Nightscream Studios
      Unit70
      Ghostride
      Scare Products/Oak Island
      Sinister Scents (the best, miss seeing those guys)
      Interactive Ticketing
      Pale Night Productions
      MiniSpotlight.com
      Spookyprops (late, but good)
      Jak Prints
      Precint13/Creature Corps
      CFX
      HauntedHouse.com
      Hauntworld.com (one word, Patti!)
      Stiltbeast/Allen Hopps
      SpinningTunnel.com
      ...and I know I'm missing a few, I'm sorry!

But, here's my list that I might NEVER do business with again:

Edge Designs (product came too late, didn't get to use it and was low quality)
      Pale Night Productions (took one product to ruin it for me)
      ScareFactory
      FrightProps (on the fence with this one)

As you can see, it's only a handful of shady companies! There's ALOT of great people we work with!

See you all in March! Stop by our booth! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

yeah I agree ol buddy
        I had to fight oak island to give me money back after a few months of nothing
        but in the end I got my money..... Months after halloween

Comment

Hey look...more of the same stupid stuff that goes on time and time again. Obviously we have "wronged" Tyler in some way...this is the first I've heard of it. Tyler has some issue, doesn't bring it to my attention, then gets on the forums and bad mouths me for it. That makes sense. You know, Tyler, I remeber a time not long ago when you didn't have a haunt and you weren't taken seriously and were really getting abused by some of the members here and who stood up for you? Me. I have considered you a friend and thought you were above this kind of childish garbage.

How can anyone expect a vendor to please them when the vendor doesn't even know a problem exists? All I can say is that we have a long list of happy customers that will stand behind our brand, our quality, and our customer service. It's tough to get service if you never ask for it. We try our absolute best to keep our customers happy...but telepatheically divining that there is an issue to resolve is beyond my current capabilities. And...is it just me or do I appear on both the good and bad vendor list??? Tyler, I don't know what your problem is. If I did, I would have worked to resolve it. As it stands now, I don't really care to. This dash to the forums and run our mouths policy is juvenile and unproductive. Maybe try to place one phone call or email to the vendor first.

Maybe I should start a list of haunts that I won't sell too...
          Kip Polley
          www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
          We Engineer Fear

Comment

Shane,

Because we own a magazine I don't want to say one vendor is better than another... but we typically buy from vendors who advertiser in our magazine because those are mostly the best vendors to deal with. The ones who take things serious ... when I order something I WANT IT!

Typically we order things and ship them to other customers and I can't be getting calls about how everything breaks... so for me I have to TRUST the vendor I'm dealing with.

I'm always looking for NEW vendors... I think one of the best new vendors to come along is that Dark Raven he's made some mistakes, he's learning, but he's on the right track and is a pleasure to deal with.

I want to trust that guy because I really like the direction he's going!

Unit 70, Ghost Ride, Scarefactory, Distortions, without question.

Masks wise I like them ALL CFX, SPFX and I really like the new company from Robert Kurtzman.

Froggy Fog is on the ball!

These two companies that sell the mini spots (Mini Spots) and the new company that might shake up everything 'Dark Light' both wonderful.

This new Factory Direct seems like they are doing as promised.

All the ticketing companies seem to be on the ball.

Onadira... if only they would change their name (LOL). That guy is on top of everything, he's a class act, and is very organized.

There are more I can't think of them all... but there are others we do a lot of business with but without looking at a list I can't remember them all.

I will say my favorite company to deal with ALL TIME ---- Brainstorm Studios those guys are heads and tails the best in the industry at what they do and they never disappoint. When you want something totally first class they are only company to call and you know whatever they do will knock your socks off!!!!!

I will say that we are no longer working with Rogues Hollow but we did for many years and he always did a great job for us... never disappointed in his work for sure!!! He seems to get better and better.

Lastly I want to say that these tradeshow companies are also doing a great job and deserve a lot of credit starting with Transworld, totally first class ... Hauntcon I must admit and give credit to Leanard Pickel who really does help the industry by showcasing haunts all over the nation, he deserves more support. MHC ... those guys are NUTS all the stuff they do I don't know how they do it.

I'll think of more soon I'm sure!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Two more things as you fill out your lists...

1) A lot of people don't realize we are still a vendor actually with more customers than anyone with over 3000 haunts on our directory, and 2000 plus subscribing to our magazine plus we sell tens of thousands of books and videos. I think since we are not doing animations stuff for this industry anymore we seem to be lost in the mix... but we are still vendors because we sell education, information and more. If you are happy with our new dvd's, magazines, or services please include us in your lists.

If you are not happy email me and let me know as our goal is to provide even better education and services to our customers. We get thousands of orders a year through www.hauntedhousesupplies.com. Let us know if our dvd's or magazines or whatever helped your business.

2) Kip Polly Pale Night: I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him to anyone... if someone was un-happy with him it would be news to me. I've heard nothing but glowing reports from everyone on that end.

Kip does a lot of work with us, he basically in some ways works for us a lot of the time, and he does a lot of stuff now for other people, and I'm excited for him. He deserves it he tries very hard. He's a very creative guy. I know he's made mistakes, I've made mistakes, we all make mistakes, its about if you do what it takes to correct them and I see nothing but Kip doing everything he can to produce the best products.

We help Kip a lot and he helps us... we work in the same space and he has people visit him all the time they love him... so its news to me as well that anyone was un-happy.

But as the saying goes you can't make everyone happy!

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

Kip,

I don't think you understood... I have you down on both my list! Your products are awesome and very effective! Our asylum door and fuse box work great... Everytime!

However, the drowning tank, tanked, since day one! It was by far our worst purchase. Tank wasn't sealed properly, steel rusted, "prop" broke off it's pneumatics... It's just been a headache since we got it! The tank is one of our "must fixes" for this year...last year it went out of commission all season!

I still consider you a friend no matter how much you bad moth me on here! In fact, it's amazing that you would publically talk about a customer like this...shame. I hope you don't talk about all your customers like this?!

Oh well, we'll see you again at the show as I'm sure you'll have another line-up of amazing products!!

-Tyler

PS: don't forget buddy who always voted you best new products!! Me!
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Larry, ask Brainstorm Studios why they don't ever update their website with all the work they do. The site has been the same for like 7 years.
                  Spooky Wishes
                  Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Tyler,

Shame on you buddy... you tell Kip he shouldn't talk bad about a customer but you totally dissed him. So he's suppose to just sit there and take that. Like Kip said had you made a phone call rather than a post on a message board I'm sure your issues would have been resolved.

Instead of going to message boards to pour out your complaints try the vendor you bought it from... had you done that I'm sure you wouldn't have seen the same response.

I bet your complaint is totally legit I bet you did have those problems just as you stated and I'm sure you are not lying about it ... but why air it on FIRST on a message board rather than talking to KIP who made it and give him a chance to make it better for you which I'm sure he would have.

See my point ... so I think if anyone should be checking themselves its you not Kip.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Larry,

I brought the problem up to Kip in 2009 before we opened! But like most everybody, I'm sure he got busy the closer it got to haunts opening! I have the emails to prove these... To bad I can't gather the phone records, but they were made! It was just a shock that so much attention went into the other amazing products that you'd think to at least seal steel, to prevent rust not leaks, on something meant to hold water!?

I guess that was our fault though... As I've stated, our other products from Kip are awesome and we love them! That's why I put him down for both and not just one. Our list of repairs for the drowning tank are:

-completely reseal tank
                      -remove rust from inside tank and pnuematics
                      -seal to prevent further rusting
                      -find a way to reattach body
                      -repaint skin and details... Yeah, all that washed too within the first week.
                      -replace airlines now clogged with rust

It's not anything we can't handle, just saying it wasn't the best product he's put out!

-Tyler
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Wow, you might as well trash the thing. I'm sure it's probably built the same way for everyone and you're not the first one to have problems with it. I could be wrong though.
                        Spooky Wishes
                        Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

I know I'm not the only one! Also, Kip, remember that was in '09... We still came back and bought more from you last year! Not as big as an order but we did! I still love ya buddy, don't take everything personally! Just a bad prop, thats all!

Noah,

That's also on the plate... If it'll cost more than $500 to fix, we'll dumpster it or make a badass looking fish tank!

-Tyler
                          Chris Riehl
                          Sales@spookyfinder.com
                          (586)209-6935
                          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Tyler,

And I'm saying to you that I believe you... I'm just saying don't expect a happy response when you flat out diss someone on a message board. You can't act like he should be nice to you after you ripped him a new one.

Still I'll bet you anything if you call Kip he will take care of it for you... better yet if you are driving to the show just bring it with you drop it off with him and I bet he'll fix it and ship it back

Problem solved I'm sure...

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

Tyler,

Look, I remember talking to you and I remember telling you we'd be happy to find a way to fix our problems and I also remember that being the last time we talked about it. I told you we'd be happy to buy whatever needed to be bought and either do the work ourselves or compensate you for doing it, but we never talked more about it so I thought it was a dead issue. I'm sorry you weren't happy with the prop and that you've had trouble with it, but I maintain that we tried to do our part to make things right. I'm not going to argue with you about it because it's silly and you and I aren't going to see eye to eye on it anyway.

I just hope that everyone would think twice before rushing to the boards to sound off about vendor issues. It's not the best way to handle these types of problems.
                              Kip Polley
                              www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                              We Engineer Fear

Comment

Working...
                              X