Professinal HD Camcorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professinal HD Camcorders

Does anyone have any suggestions between the two cameras.. Or any suggestions for any other ones comparable?

Panasonic AG-HPX170
    Panasonic AG-HPX500-EFP*

Thanks!

Peter T
    FS
    Fables Studios
    Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
    https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Originally posted by FablesStudios View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions between the two cameras.. Or any suggestions for any other ones comparable?

Panasonic AG-HPX170
    Panasonic AG-HPX500-EFP*

Thanks!

Peter T
    FS
    I usually don't llike it when I hear this as the lead to a response but it really depends on what you want to use it for. Today, I wouldn't buy a mini-dv cam, especially not a panasonic, I shoot canon 5d or rented sony rigs, and most people that make money making video do as well.

Having said that.

Both will shoot HD, both have XLR audio connection allowing you to use condensor mics, that alone makes both suitable for any haunt media related use.

The Panasonic AG-HPX170 is a camera I've used for corporate vid and for the price and compared to it's market segment it's an excellent camera. Downside it's very light and you will not want to shoot hand held unless you stablalize. It also has a very nice fixed lens that is practical for most situations, but it's the only lens you'll ever use.

The Panasonic AG-HPX500-EFP will accept multiple lenses. However, if you're going to spend this much money get a Sony or a Canon 5DMK II with an XLR and follow focus rig. At this price point you do not want a pana, period.

Also, this thread will likley become a cam tech pissing contest wet dream, from which I will abstain. There are always dozens of hairs to split with cameras, and entire systems are outmoded with the launch of new cameras so the specs mostly have short shelf lives. It mostly comes down to the application you need it for.

Finally, this is sincere advice not a smart ass answer. If you're thinking about buying a mini-DV panasonic today with the options that are out there I'd just hire someone to do the shooting so you're renting the gear and the expertise. Best of luck with your purchase. Don't buy used unless you can read the 'odometer' hold it in your hands and take video with it first.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your honesty. I am looking to start filming short videos for my haunt. But I want them to be in movie quality. I know most of that comes in with post on the computer but it helps when you have a good camera. I like the two Panasonics because one.. ha ha.. Cost. Ha ha.. two I like the solid-state components. But I have not used one yet. I am taking film classes in the next couple months depending if I can get a location for the haunt… I’m not looking to film a full length with this camera.. just shorts..

Ive decided if I cant get the haunt going in the next 2 years I will put the haunt on hold and start work on my first full length film. Finishing up the screenplay now. More info on that in the future.

Thanks again!

Pete
      FS
      Last edited by FablesStudios; 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM.
      Fables Studios
      Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
      https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Originally posted by FablesStudios View Post
        Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your honesty. I am looking to start filming short videos for my haunt. But I want them to be in movie quality. I know most of that comes in with post on the computer but it helps when you have a good camera. I like the two Panasonics because one.. ha ha.. Cost. Ha ha.. two I like the solid-state components. But I have not used one yet. I am taking film classes in the next couple months depending if I can get a location for the haunt… I’m not looking to film a full length with this camera.. just shorts..

Ive decided if I cant get the haunt going in the next 2 years I will put the haunt on hold and start work on my first full length film. Finishing up the screenplay now. More info on that in the future.

Thanks again!

Pete
        FS
        Hey Pete, regarding movie quality, as you know or will learn there are three things that make the audience "see" a film look.

1. Frame rate, film being 24fps. 2. Gamma curve, hard blacks with no noise, whites the same, no digital buzz around the edges of subjects. and 3. Shallow depth of field - having selective focus throught the range of image field. Something in the foreground and/or background fuzzy with the central element in tack sharp focus.

Mini DV, DV cam, and Beta Cam SP cameras won't give you this. If you want as good a look as you can get you should begin with and learn moving image from DSLRs like the canon 5d MK II or canon 7d, I prefer 5D due to the full 35mm sensor frame. It's not cheap when you pile on lenses, follow focus, stabilizer rigs, etc. but it's worth it.

best of luck with your haunt and your education, if you ever want to bounce ideas or resources pm me.

Comment

Working...
        X