Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt Variety Acts?

Hey All!

I was wondering about variety acts that you guys hire or perform yourselves at your haunt? I would like to gain more stuff at my haunts. I have the nail to the nose down, and being a professional level juggler I juggle knives and I wanted to hear what other people do/would think would look cool at a haunt.

Thanks!
    Bobby

I really want a barbershop quatet of grave diggers that walk aound to each que line and sing a song then go hit the next que, I have about four heavy ques and a stage that they could bounce between and I think it could be a world of fun.
    Allen
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Great idea Allen!

The Sweet refrain's of;

"Sweet Dead Gal O' Mine
      Sweet Dead Gal O' Mine
      I dun shot ya dead
      and dumped ya in a mine...,

Oh Dear Sweet Gall of Mine..,"

Think of the beautiful Harmonies!
      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Good one Allen, wide range of play in that one.

Comment

We had a magician this year and we've had a local musician play for us before. I'm hoping to continue my juggling skills during this off season... I wanna juggle eyeballs.
          sigpic
          Catie Mahfouz
          Blood Ink Writing Service
          www.hauntwriter.com

Comment

LOL! I love that Allen. I'll put the Craigslist ad up now!

And Catie; if you want help with juggling, I've been juggling for most of my life (since I was in Kindergarten...I was horrible..but it was a start!) and can lend a hand with advice, techniques, tricks, and/or products. It is so much fun! Have you seen these in action yet? http://www.jugglingstore.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=155 I think they would be GREAT to use on stage (outside obviously).

Does anyone have creepy tricks or entertainment ideas? I want to improve my stuff and come up with some more unique and disturbed entertainment.

Comment

i agree with posting an ad in your area. during our regular auditions we found our que line entertainment. we had a guy who would eat and breath fire put nails up his nose and staple random objects the audience had in their pockets to his body. so never under estimate your local freaks you might find someone looking to showcase their talents.
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

OMG! Those are the best! I think you just sold that to me in a major way! I would love some tips/advice. Anything to further my skills and make an entertaining show!
                sigpic
                Catie Mahfouz
                Blood Ink Writing Service
                www.hauntwriter.com

Comment

Really? That seems like a freak goldmine! (and I mean freak in the absolutely nicest way possible lol, I would consider it a compliment haha).

And Catie, you have my email or you can pm me with any questions. I can try and make some video tutorials if you need them, and on YouTube I'd suggest subscribing to CTJUGGLES. I don't know him personally, but I subscribe and he has a million videos ranging from how-to's to just entertaining vids. I find it useful when trying to pick up new tricks, even though he usually only juggles balls, clubs and rings, not torches or eyeballs or fireballs, but it's the same concept

Comment

We have used fire spinners for the last few years and our customers seem to love it. We use fire good productions here in Columbia Mo. but I'm sure there are other spinners out there in your areas.
                    Greg
                    Fearfest
                    Greg Allen
                    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

That's a great idea! Does it affect your event insurance at all?

Comment

i don't know about the insurance, we always do it outside, but there are a lot of fire spinners in Atlanta, myself included, and nothing seems to "spark" a happy spectical than a taste of fire.

another thought, stilt walkers are a crowd pleaser, both the tradititonal stilts and the more recent jump stilts. i'm learning those right now, maybe i'll be able to do a stilt/spinning combo act. That'd be awsome!

Hope that helps give you ideas.

Comment

It doesn't effect our insurance at all. They carry their own insurance but our coverage does cover all of our events.
                          They do it outside and we have an area barricaded off for them in accordance with the fire marshals rules and county permits.
                          They also do the fire breathing and nothing will turn a crowds head faster than a big burst of flames coming from a persons mouth!
                          Its great advertising for them and they love coming out to the haunt to perform.
                          Greg
                          Fearfest
                          Greg Allen
                          scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                          www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate the tips. I'm really looking into picking up those new stilts. I also have a cool sword swallowing act that is a head turner (it's not real for the record lol). But it's very convincing. I appreciate the tips everyone, you guys are great!

Comment

variety acts

When we started our haunt in '07, we have had some sort of live enertainment every night. The first year we published a list of bands (from all types of genres) and it seemed to have little impact on the type of crowd that showed for the night. Every year we seem to scale back the types of performers we use, and make sure that all the bands are crowd pleasers. Some of the themed bands work, some of them don't. Overall, the variety show/cover bands are the most liked by the audience. This year we also hired a great dj to spin. He is able to get the crowd fired up, and act as the MC for our midway. Overall, music is a plus, but we just don't 'over-do' it any more.

Lately, we have put our signature characters into the midway on big nights to work the queue line, and that works out really well. Our system is set up where we can pull most of our main actors out of their areas to go work the line. Those who can't leave their posts will go to the midway before the show starts.

We are in the process of negotiating a stage show with a group of actors from the city from a 'rock opera' group. They are an incredibly talented group of actors/singers/songwriters, and their last show was absolutely amazing. We'll see how the stars align... but we're hoping for a kickass stage show next season.
                              Patrick Barberry
                              www.legendsofthefog.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X