Buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buildings

I am trying to start a new haunt and I am in need of a space to build. All the building around my area are 2000 a month and up. My market just can't warrant that kind of expense for renting all year round. Does anyone have advice on a good approach to building hunting. I have been looking on the net and putting out advertisments but nothing seems to be working. Any advice would be appreciated...

Rent from August till November, and have a Large storage unit close to your location?

Comment

try this...

check local businesses... examples… family fun centers, green houses, schools… I’m in the same thing you are right now trying to lock in my location. I got burned big time last year so I’m making sure that wont happen again. This year I’m renting next year I’m buying. Don’t be afraid to call businesses to see if they have 5k – 10k sqft to rent on their location. Its extra money to them on a location they have to pay for anyway.

Work a deal with some $$$ upfront and a % at the end. This is not a full proof plan but if its something you really want to do you’ll find a way to make it happen.

Hope that helps best of luck and have a great new year !

Peter T
      FS
      Fables Studios
      Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
      https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
        Rent from August till November, and have a Large storage unit close to your location?
        I know this is what Sean is doing for his haunt "Hobbs Manner". He has been doing it since 2002 and its been working for him so far. He has to parts to his haunted house, first part is the haunt with his indoor actors, and part two is an outdoor hayride . The outside actors are a volunteer workers from a local fire station. These volunteers also help set up every year so that saves him some money in not having to hire people to do it.

Hope this helps a little.
        ~*~How is a raven like a writing desk ?
        ~*~*~There both the perfect tools for picking at the brain.
        ~*~*~*~An my favorite game you ask ?
        ~*~*~*~*~ Raven on the desk of course.

Jessica Ward

Comment

Those are all great ideas to try, Thanks for the advise.

Comment

one more idea

just want to add this! i recently purchased 3 53' trailers! no not for a trailer haunt but for storage and such. i am activly filling one with panel making parts such as ply, 2x, props, paints, and such items that we all know and use. i will be constructing wall panels this spring painting half flat black and half flat white. i got the trailers for $1,500 each so i am not all that far out of pocket. it cost me $60.00 each plus fuel to move them by a friend! the only thing i did not think of well yes i did but i kinda was playing the cards was transport road cost! two trailers made it no issues but one got pulled over and it cost me an extra 350.00 in fines. over all i am happy and with plenty of room for a great start. just remember to check for water damage on the inside and for tire tread, break compresion which can be done by hooking an air compreser up tot he lines. other than that make sure to check on transport fees or hiyway fees for a one time move. there is no need to register the trailers with curent tags if you will not be regularly moving them around.
            best of luck
            The Care Taker
            John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

Haunt building hunting

I've been searching for a location since 2005. Most properties that are suitable are owned/managed by individuals who either don't want a haunt at the location or they are looking for a long term (year round/5-8 year) lease. On the other hand, you'll find properties that are not suitable but their owners/managers are willing to allow a short term and/or are flexible with their lease terms. Even if you find a location, in most cases, you'll setup for the season and have to tear it down when the season is done. Hopefully, that property will be available next year but don't count on it and you'll have to go through this process all over again. You can't win.

You may have to be willing to travel for a location. This is something I was unwilling to do just a couple years ago. I live in the Philly, Pa. burbs of Bucks County and have looked at properties as far north as Scranton, Pa. and as far south as Rehoboth, De. I've also looked in New Jersey. Almost anything up to about 2 hours driving time from Philly, Pa. With the way some of these owners/managers are acting with their properties, you'd think they're all fat and happy. As if they've got dozens of people banging down their doors trying to lease their properties. We all know that's not the case.

I'm looking into alternative locations but still not finding anything. One thing is for sure, I'm on a relentless quest to get my haunts up and running one way or another. Don't expect it to happen over night unless you are incredibly lucky. Once you do find a location, you'll have to jump through many more hoops with the local city or municipality and meet their requirements before you can move on your project. It's not pretty but I do wish you the very best of luck in your quest.

Steve....
              Last edited by Uptown Haunts; 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM.
              UptownHaunts@aol.com

"Follow the Bloody Brick Road to Nightmare Village"

Comment

Building hunting

Try Loopnet.com . There you can find rentals as well as for sale units around the country. They list everything from churches (special interest listings) to schools as well large and small buildings.
                Good luck

Comment

Buildings

I've been continuously searching for a location since deciding to go into pro haunting. Some of my search resources include Loopnet.com, as recommended above, Craigslist.com and any commercial leasing web sites found in my travels on commercial and industrial properties. Drive around. Look for listing agents' signs on vacant properties. Make phone calls and search the web sites. Just keep searching. It's just about a second full time job in my case.

Steve....
                  UptownHaunts@aol.com

Comment

Another possibility, (not really loved by most) is an outdoor location. Outdoor haunts have less strict rules to follow, but are weather dependent. If you work with a local charity or organization and agree to give them a percentage of ticket sales, you can usually get a year round location. There's a haunt near me that does that, it's in the woods, is there year round, and doesn't have to pass crazy inspections or things, because it's outdoors and most fire marshalls and building inspectors are much nicer to you when you're incorporating charity as a main part of the project.

Comment

Originally posted by sanybell View Post
                      Try Loopnet.com . There you can find rentals as well as for sale units around the country. They list everything from churches (special interest listings) to schools as well large and small buildings.
                      Good luck
                      Loopnet.com worked well for us. I would recommend starting there as well.
                      Richard Alvarado
                      Moxley Manor Haunted House

www.moxleymanor.com
                      www.nightscarebeforechristmas.com
                      Stalk Us on Facebook
                      Stalk Us on Twitter
                      Stalk Us on YouTube

Comment

Thanks for everybody's help. I just checked out loopnet.com and they have a few properties that look appealing. Lets just hope the owners have an open mind...lol

Comment

To: screamforadream

You're right about the rules being a bit more "relaxed" with an outdoor venue. Unfortunately, my home town (Bensalem, Pa.) is also a ball buster with that concept as well but, if I do find a suitable outdoor location, I'll pursue it and see if I can figure out a way of making it work. Weather is an obvious issue. We just have to make sure there are ways of protecting certain props/animatronics when the situation arises.

Before you do anything, research the rules and regulations in the areas where you are searching for a spot to setup your attraction(s). Get acquainted with the local officials. You should also check with the local business operators and ask if they'll share their experiences when it comes to regulations and setting up a new enterprise. And it can be any type of business; movie theaters, restaurants, industrial spaces, hotels, places of worship, etc. Nothing can replace personal experience but this will help to give you a better perspective of what to expect from your local officials.

Check with your state for regulations adopted at that level. Then request the local regulations or for some kind of guidance. Something they refused to do in my home town but most areas are much more business friendly than Bensalem, Pa.

Steve.....
                          UptownHaunts@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheCareTaker View Post
                            just want to add this! i recently purchased 3 53' trailers! no not for a trailer haunt but for storage and such. i am activly filling one with panel making parts such as ply, 2x, props, paints, and such items that we all know and use. i will be constructing wall panels this spring painting half flat black and half flat white. i got the trailers for $1,500 each so i am not all that far out of pocket. it cost me $60.00 each plus fuel to move them by a friend! the only thing i did not think of well yes i did but i kinda was playing the cards was transport road cost! two trailers made it no issues but one got pulled over and it cost me an extra 350.00 in fines. over all i am happy and with plenty of room for a great start. just remember to check for water damage on the inside and for tire tread, break compresion which can be done by hooking an air compreser up tot he lines. other than that make sure to check on transport fees or hiyway fees for a one time move. there is no need to register the trailers with curent tags if you will not be regularly moving them around.
                            best of luck
                            do you own the land where you park them? If you don't do you pay rent for space in an industrial zoned area to park them? thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X