New found respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New found respect

They say that respect is earned not given, well I have a new found respect for stilt walkers. I'm putting a costume together that will use stilts and today I got my stilts. It took some time to get them adjusted right and longer to walk in them but I am getting the hang of it but I'm walking next to a hand hold just in case and have found myself having to use it more then once to save myself. Stilt walkers in custume no less have no hand hold so they have to be 100% all the time, for those of you that do this at you haunts, you make it look easyer then it is and for those of you that hire these people, trust me they are earning every penny that your paying them.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Now you know one reason we design oversized costumes that look like they are stiltwalkers without the stilts.
    Walking on stilts is just something not everyone can do.
    It takes alot of effort and talent to use stilts.
    Kevin R. Alvey
    info at gore-galore.com
    www.gore-galore.com
    www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
    www.youtube.com/goregalore13
    www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

How about a stilt walker in one of your over sized costumes, now that would take some talent.lol.
      Originally posted by Gore Galore View Post
      Now you know one reason we design oversized costumes that look like they are stiltwalkers without the stilts.
      Walking on stilts is just something not everyone can do.
      It takes alot of effort and talent to use stilts.

Comment

What kind of stilts are you on, that makes a huge difference. I do a TON of stilt stuff I have seven walkers in park each night ,and yes they earn it.
        Stilts can be compared to riding a bike or Roller skating, there is a balance to it and it takes a bit to get the hang of. Once you learn it it is a s natural as walking, like bikes and roller skates-stupidy is punished.
        Do you think an instructional DVD would help? I have toyed with making one but Im not sure of the appeal or if there is a need.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

25 yrs ago..

I combined short stilts with an over-sized costume. I was 9 ft. tall at the top of the costume's head but I was only an extra foot from the ground.
          I learned to walk on my way walking downtown about six blocks away. Walking across a grassy lawn was tough!
          "Go ahead Rover, nip at my ankles!"
          I was still cacthing "Hell" for that costume days after the parade for terrorizing people's little kids so much they insisted to be taken home!
          I purposely stayed at least 80 feet away from any kid just so I would not upset them!
          80 feet was too close! (No, the costumes was not THAT big!)
          The parents were not quick enough to use my scary appearence to insert some warning remarks to effect some new found discipline for their children, and some of them needed it too!
          "You be good or that big skeleton will come and get you!"
          "Yipe! I be good!"
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Haha,
            We made a stilt walker for a customer. Pete from Dungeon of Doom.
            The character was Bloody Mary but the costuming was Pete's idea. A Bloody Bride.
            Sadly, I don't even know how well it worked out for him.
            Here are 2 pics of it.
            So oddly enough we can make stilt walkers out of our characters now.

We just need to refine the weight and work on things that make the Characters easier to use.
            Since we don't do many stilt walkers it is difficult to think about how to make them function easier for the operator.
            Attached Files
            Kevin R. Alvey
            info at gore-galore.com
            www.gore-galore.com
            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

What kind of stilts are you on, that makes a huge difference. I do a TON of stilt stuff I have seven walkers in park each night ,and yes they earn it.
              Stilts can be compared to riding a bike or Roller skating, there is a balance to it and it takes a bit to get the hang of. Once you learn it it is a s natural as walking, like bikes and roller skates-stupidy is punished.
              Do you think an instructional DVD would help? I have toyed with making one but Im not sure of the appeal or if there is a need.

Allen H

Stilt walkers and sliders are certainly underrated. The actors that do either (or both) certainly earn their stripes every night.

There was a stilt walker and slider class at Hauntcon last year and it was very well-attended. Because of the carpeting in the room, only the stilt walkers could do any maneuvers but it was impressive to watch and a lot of good questions were asked. I think there may be a market for some sort of instructional video...
              http://www.bigscaryshow.com
              http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Allen, they are Dura drywall stilts and go up to 40'' but I have them set for 24''. I walked in them again today and did much better, I'm sure by Oct. I should be able to rock in them.lol. But you will never get me to try jumping stilts, thats a whole new dog and that one has some bite.
                Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                Allen H

Comment

Very nice costume!
                  Originally posted by Gore Galore View Post
                  Haha,
                  We made a stilt walker for a customer. Pete from Dungeon of Doom.
                  The character was Bloody Mary but the costuming was Pete's idea. A Bloody Bride.
                  Sadly, I don't even know how well it worked out for him.
                  Here are 2 pics of it.
                  So oddly enough we can make stilt walkers out of our characters now.

We just need to refine the weight and work on things that make the Characters easier to use.
                  Since we don't do many stilt walkers it is difficult to think about how to make them function easier for the operator.

Comment

I love my jumping stilts, they have advantages. There is way less shock to your body on those I can wear them for 12hours plus if the straps are padded.
                    Im glad your trying stilts they are a great tool in the costuming toolbox. Here are some quick tips.
                    #1 try marshalltown Skywalker 2's -best stilts around (aside from bigfoots or Jaywalkers) they give you back your ankle and have great stock straps.
                    #2 get better straps I suggest these-http://www.mycomfortstrap.com/ They make a world of difference in your confidence because you feel more secure.
                    #3 attach a pair of shoes to the stilts- Walmart sell a pair of velcro closed sneakers for $15 and they are great for attaching to stilts. It really speeds up the time to get in and out as well as adds to your stability.
                    #4 Never trust aligator straps- they are stock straps with 90% of all stilts- and they work loose as you move If you have them tape over them with duct tape about six times to hold them and you in place. This makes a huge difference.
                    #5 Check bolts every day /weekend- with the wear and tear that we put stilts through the bolts can back out so check them. also take out the different kinds/sizes of bolts and buy extras, tape them to the stilt so repairs can be made quickly.
                    #6 stay safe and have fun-exploit the stride length advantage you have to move faster than patrons expect. try to work near a fence- its a great scare to be on the other side of a fence with patrons taunting you- then they freak out as you step over it. Also exploit that you are no longer et eye level with patrons if you are still they will think you are fake because you are not human sized.
                    #7 Stilts are a portable stage- you will immediately have the focus and attention of those around you. If you dont have a reason to be on stage (dont want to perform) then get off stilts.

Feel free to email or call me if you have any stilt questions I have been doing them a long time and I love the effect they have on people.
                    Allen H
                    469-337-4929
                    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allen. they do have the aligator straps and today I did notice that when I was done that they had losed up. Thanks for the link for the comfort straps, I will check it out. Today I was moving preaty good in them and even twirlled a 9' foot rod around. I'm going to make a staff that can be used for balance and a weapon that I can spin around. People loved this passed year when I would corner someone and spin my shovel around keeping them pinned.

Comment

Working...
                      X