ACTORS V.S. ANIMATRONICS: The ultimate face off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACTORS V.S. ANIMATRONICS: The ultimate face off

Ladies and gentlemen the fight of the haunt age. Which is better. Scareactors or animatronics?
    Goblins, Ghoulies, Creatures and Frights, We summon you now, to dance through the night!
    -Madame Leota, Phantom manor

"Actors or Animatronics?"
    How about a third catagory/item?
    The lonesome totally dark room with a live cricket in the corner?
    A whole lot of people can't begin to handle being alone in the dark, it's the scariest thing! They might get molested!
    "But you are alone!"
    "Yes, I know, that just makes it more terrible! I can't trust anyone, not even myself!
    "Cricket!? Was it you?"
    "No, you're not my type, besides that I couldn't find a milk carton high enough for me to stand on."

Change all that, "A dark room with a live cricket and a tall milk carton."
    Actors and robots can't hold a drippy candle to this!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Animatronics are good if they are used correctly and mixed with actors. My favorite are the interactive actor animatronics which are more like interactive props (like the chainsaw table by Distortions)...
      Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
      The White Star Farm
      "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

Bobocyko...you'll have to check out the next issue of Hauntworld magazine...I'm currently working on an article called "Animatronics Vs. Actors"...it's a study with some history, comments from some industry leaders, and opinions from haunt patrons.

It really all depends on the size and style of your attraction venue to determine the proper balance of actors and animations...generally speaking, the smaller the venue, the less need for animations, and vice versa, the larger the venue, the less need for actors.
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

So "Big" haunt's customers don't have to be as well entertained? Just pushed-through? I have always wondered about this?
          And enough customers return every season to perpetuate this type of a show?
          A smaller , more actor-driven entertainment might not need to spend nearly as much money advertising itself as the "next-best thing since sliced bread" because word of mouth from happy customers do it for them.
          I see a stimulating show as "job security".
          AND:
          "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."
          (Unless you were an "Impressionist Painter."hahaha!)

I have had some very poor live-actors that a hydralic cylinder stuck up their behinds would have created a much more reliable , entertaining "Prop-Actor", especially with MY finger on the air button!
          This would be so much fun . "Wut is this thing strapped to my butt fer?"
          "Nevermind, just hide around your usual corner with your hands up, ready to scare someone."
          "Duh, OK."
          Followed by a real, terrified scream-reaction and bugged-out eyes all coming from my "actor" as the forces of compressed air hurl him a short, quick distance!
          I just know the patrons would love this!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The big shows that I've seen that have a perfect mix (like Netherworld and Dungeon of Doom in Grayslake IL) really found a great balance - their actors/characters are so amazing and balanced out perfectly with the animatronics - you don't know what is coming at you or from where - when you think something is animatronic - you find out it's chasing you down a hallway. Being an actor I'll always be an advocate for us, but it's nice to have some well placed quality animatronics to confuse, amuse, and behoove our victims! That level of uncertainty (if something is "alive" or not)... is another way to get the customers feeling uneasy.
            Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
            The White Star Farm
            "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Nicole
              Animatronics are good if they are used correctly and mixed with actors.

Ditto!
              ~*~How is a raven like a writing desk ?
              ~*~*~There both the perfect tools for picking at the brain.
              ~*~*~*~An my favorite game you ask ?
              ~*~*~*~*~ Raven on the desk of course.

Jessica Ward

Comment

I totally agree Nicole...and not just because I work for a company who a big chunk of our business revolves around animations. For many years, I acted in many local haunts as well, so I know things well from that perspective too.

Jim, you don't have to look further for a good example than the granpappy of all dark attractions, Haunted Mansion. Without total animation they would never be able to cattle herd the zillions of people who have been entertained and still are to this date. Outside of dark amusement park venues, I have never been to a cattle herd style, completley or almost completely animated dark walkthrough that I felt delivered a reliable every time entertainment value. While possible, you just don't see people really trying to do a show like that very often because of the required expense and time involved in set-up, programming, and fine tuning. Interaction with a human being's wit, reflexes and timing are necessary at least here and there for a successful show recipe.
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Who has ever had anywhere near the amount of money that Disney has always had to do what they do?
                  Many start to think they might be able to sort of pull it off, but money carries the show.
                  It might be like Dan and I starting a racing team(Mr. Tuxedo financing it, of course) and our competition would be Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, but hey, me and Dan can take them on!!
                  I'll wash the car's windsheid while you research and build a new more powerfull racing engine, re-gear the transmission for the next track and wind tunnel test the new spoiler and drive it to the race in the semi while I'm talking to the racetrack cheerleaders and beauty queens, OK Dan?
                  "We", can do it!!
                  "Put-put, fizzle, pop!MMMrrr!
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Yes!!! Let's do it!...completely using parts from the Grin!...sure it may have the front end of a submarine, a bed for a cockpit, a hearse rear end and a nazi babe hood ornament, but that sucker will fly!...I can see it now..like a bad episode of the A-team, shots of Dan slaving away with cutaways of Jim flirting with the hotties...I'll be fine Jim, as long as I come in "sloppy second" place!

With the bed cockpit, maybe it would make a better spoof episode of Pimp My Ride!
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I like a haunt with a mix of both...live actors are without a doubt unpredictable and can ad lib...but there are a few animations on the market that would be impossible to duplicate using a live actor....so I say 60% live 40% animations would be a good mix
                      "Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prays at night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

Comment

In all honesty being an actor myself, Animatronics are kinda like a slap in the face, yeah they are good here and there but I much prefer the customer to come face to face with me, than some rip off from "Its a small world after all" though that would be quite funny to put in a haunt... lol little dead zombie children singing its a dead world after all... :twisted:

Comment

I think it would be funnier if you could put in old Disney style animatronics that would "break" into freaky poses. Do you know how many children jump when something falls off an animatronic at a theme park?
                          Ben Fox
                          Actor and Building Manager

"I have been called a lot of things in my life, but Ben Fox is not one of them...... Wait thats my name, I meant to say that....... Wait, I have been called that too..."

Comment

I like to see a majority of actors in haunts, with a few really cool animatronics mixed in.
                            www.mindseizure.com
                            www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

I think it would be funnier if you could put in old Disney style animatronics that would "break" into freaky poses. Do you know how many children jump when something falls off an animatronic at a theme park?
                              Do you mean like the time Mr. Lincoln sprayed out red hydraulic fluid from a broken hose? EWWWWWW.

Comment

Working...
                              X