Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen H
    replied
    Yes I use a hopper when I shoot acrylic stucco, thats what I coated my foam castle with.
    www.huntmonsters.com
    It is awesome stuff. My castle has lasted 5 years and is still going strong. Here is a few shots on my photo bucket of me coating a few foam tomb stones with it. Also a shot of the bucket so you have the info. If you need their site here it is
    http://www.stucoflex.com/
    Allen H
    Last edited by Allen H; 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon_K
    replied
    I've looked into shotcrete and gunite but due to the cost of the equipment, that option is right out.

I've been doing some poking around about using a hopper gun to shoot cement, basically a poor mans shotcrete. Has anyone done anything similar?

Leave a comment:

• FablesStudios
    replied
    DVD on a how too maybe..

Pics are great!!

Peter T
    FS

Leave a comment:

• Allen H
    replied
    i will definitely be attending that seminar at MHC! the pics look great.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamreaper
    replied
    Originally posted by hauntedjack View Post
    So how durable is your cave. I think it looks great. We did one out of 2x2 and chicken wire (as Larry posted), but we took burlap over the chicken wire and then took a drywall mud and paint mixture to coat it. Then we airbrushed over it and it seemed to work fine. The only thing that scared us was that it had kind of a flex to it. And thanks to us being outdoors and the rainy season we had this year, it needs to be redone. Is the spray foam idea pretty weather resilient? Anyway I was just wondering how durable your set was.
    We built that cave 3years ago and half of it was out in the open, never had a problem. This last year we moved the haunt to a new location on the ranch and actually cut all supports to the cave and loaded it on a large trailer and moved it to the new location and didn't damage anything at all, it held its shape 100 % and now is freestanding.

Leave a comment:

• xxxdirk
    replied
    Yep, TOF has to have THE most realistic cave set I have ever seen. I have toured a few real caves and the BAD BOYS really did an amazing job!

Leave a comment:

• drfrightner
    replied
    Nice pictures Mike. Larry

Leave a comment:

• Tattoo
    replied
    One more.....

This scene was seventy feet long with a twisting and turning path.

Catacombs

Leave a comment:

• Tattoo
    replied
    Thanks for the plug Tim!

Here are some photos of caverns, catacombs and caves we have created over the years.

We are teaching two scenic design seminars at NHC and MHC and will be covering these techniques as part of the classes.

We will be doing a small demo on caves as part of our seminar at NHC in Pa and a much larger demo at the MHC in Columbus.

Photos by Mystique Imagery

Leave a comment:

• xxxdirk
    replied
    Lucky dog Brad!

Leave a comment:

• brad
    replied
    There was a guy that did styrofoam work for all the movie companies filming in our area. He actually worked on some really big movie sets.

He sold his business, and dumped all his extra foam. We went dumpster diving for several days straight, and got a TON of foam!! More than we can deal with.

Leave a comment:

• xxxdirk
    replied
    Where r u getting the styrofoam blocks from?

Leave a comment:

• N2SPOOKINU
    replied
    Brad the spray foam insulation is fire retardant in itself but we coat it anyway for added security. For those of you with an outdoor attraction the spray foam has to be painted because the uv rays of the sun will deteriorate the foam. Once it was sprayed it set up and was very hard and solid. I think the spray foam is the way to go if you dont have access to a hard coat machine or hardeners.

Greg
    Fearfest

Leave a comment:

• brad
    replied
    We were gonna build a cave this year using large styrofoam blocks.

I know a guy in the area that might be able to show us how to mix a hardcoat solution that we can FR.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on this? Use spray or other method?

Leave a comment:

• hauntedjack
    replied
    Dreamreaper

So how durable is your cave. I think it looks great. We did one out of 2x2 and chicken wire (as Larry posted), but we took burlap over the chicken wire and then took a drywall mud and paint mixture to coat it. Then we airbrushed over it and it seemed to work fine. The only thing that scared us was that it had kind of a flex to it. And thanks to us being outdoors and the rainy season we had this year, it needs to be redone. Is the spray foam idea pretty weather resilient? Anyway I was just wondering how durable your set was.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X