Any suggestions on how to thin latex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on how to thin latex?

Is there anything you can add to latex to thin it out, make it a little more watery? Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks!

Ammonia is the industry standard to thin latex. Its also dirt cheap BONUS!
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

good old fashioned water will do the trick. A little dab will do ya
      The flesh is weak wax is eternal.

Comment

No Scott dont go start peeing in your latex ( lol )

Comment

You can also purchase dipping/balloon latex which is much thinner in consistency than standard latex.
          Kevin
          MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Thin Latex

If you do choose to use water to thin the latex.... ( If your using allot ) use some sort of strainer to take out chunks.... when you add
            water to say 8 oz. of latex to thin it to a watery consistancy it will foam a little as you mix it... so, strain the chunks out with a cheap plastic strainer or simply reach in and pull the gunk out...

( Also ) nice tip : if youd like to brush latex on.... use a dab of dish soap.... ( It will keep it from sticking ! )

( FREE ) Tip # 2 : If it gets all over your arm hands and etc. ~ dont peel it off....use dish soap and wash it out...lmfao ALLOT LESS TIME AND PAIN....lol.... ( Unless of course your into that sort of thing )

Just my .02
            Last edited by maliciousstudios; 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM.
            "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
            www.maliciousstudios.com
            "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
            http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

If you opt for the water method, use distilled water. Tap water and bottled drinking water can contain minerals that make latex curd (kind of like a cottage cheese consistency).

Steve

Comment

And do yourself a favor. don't wash latex off in the sink. It can clog your pipes, and so can plaster.
                Kevin R. Alvey
                info at gore-galore.com
                www.gore-galore.com
                www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Lmfao

I use Distilled now a days.... but if you opt to use the tap water plan on using the strainer.... you will have little bit of chunky crap at the top and stuck to the sides pour the latex into another container though the strainer and youll be fine...

Yeah.... latex in the pipes....lol, wow.... I remember back when I didnt think of that LMFAO 5-6 years ago I decided to wash the rest of the latex down the sink.... WOW....

( Dont do that )

LMFAO
                  Last edited by maliciousstudios; 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM.
                  "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                  www.maliciousstudios.com
                  "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                  http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Im sure alot of us on here have a few security deposits we wont get back.
                    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Try spilling a gallon of melted wax all over the kitchen of an apartment. errr I didnt do that. Lucky thing we were buying a new house shortly after. (Yes i did clean it up)

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have 60 or so of Fright Theaters skulls that I'll be attaching to walls and I have latex, but I wanted to stretch it out a little further, plus keep it thin enough to keep the details of the skulls in tact for detailing later.

Comment

Working...
                        X