Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why

I have received three emails from vendors I buy from that they will not be attending any of the shows. I need to see this stuff in person guys if you want me to buy it in quantity.
    Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

My thoughts exactly... -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I like to see the product before I buy it! Quality makes a diffrence and looking at pics is not a way to judge. The only company I buy from without actually looking at their product is Unit70. They have established a reputation so it works for them. I would still like them to come to the show to look at their new products.

VENDORS... If you want sales be at the shows. (Transworld, etc.)
      Last edited by N2SPOOKINU; 12-27-2009, 11:00 AM.
      Greg Allen
      scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
      www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Who are they

Who is it that said they will not attend? Shane and its just wondering? Shane this time.
        sigpic

Comment

As a vendor, sometimes the check book runs dry, and there is just no way to be able to afford to do a show. The saying goes that you have to spend money to make money, but at some point that becomes impossible. Some businesses, even non-haunt related ones have run out of working capital, and with most banks being stingy with the loans, there is no other option than to cut overhead, cut advertising budgets, cut everything and hope something good comes along before absolute 0 is hit and the business is closed.

We are in that boat this year. Business was down for some of us, to the point where drastic changes must be made. We will be lucky if we can get booths at one show this year.

Some haunts didn't do as well this year, as we have read on these forums, so some vendors didn't do as well this year.
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Unit 70... soon, not vending will catch up with them. We did not buy anything from them for this reason. The Unit70 props we do have have are all second hand/used... The way we see it, whether people agree or disagree, if you don't vend or attend a show... you don't support this industry. So we will not support vendors who choose not to vend... period.

I too like to see product in person before I buy. I don't want to be invited to workshops... I don't want a DVD with pics and vids... I don't want to pay $50 to go to The Darkness to see the new products... I want to see it on the show floor... in person! -Tyler
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

If a vendor doesn't pay out for a show then they don't support the industry? DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner folks for the most asinine and heavy handed comment of the week...maybe the month.
              What has this become? The haunted attraction mafia rather than the haunted attraction industry? You either pay your protection fees or you get whacked? Is Tony Soprano in line to be the next leader of the HHA? Wow! Let the whacking begin!
              How a vendor chooses to do business is THEIR BUSINESS. If they feel they can forgo a trade show it has nothing to do whether they support the industry or not. They may have a product and/or a client base that doesn't require a trade show. Trade shows are tools, not the fricking law.
              If you chose not to buy from a vendor unless you see their stuff on a trade show floor, that is YOUR BUSINESS, but to lump that vendor into a 'anti-haunt industry' category is a bit short sighted.
              On the other hand if we really are going to adopt true mafia ways then I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for hit man for hire. I have watched a whole season of Dexter over the holidays, and I'm itching to kill something.
              sigpic
              Louis Brown
              Owner, operator, and dish washer
              at
              DarkWood Manor

Comment

Originally posted by lurker View Post
                If a vendor doesn't pay out for a show then they don't support the industry? DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner folks for the most asinine and heavy handed comment of the week...maybe the month.
                What has this become? The haunted attraction mafia rather than the haunted attraction industry? You either pay your protection fees or you get whacked? Is Tony Soprano in line to be the next leader of the HHA? Wow! Let the whacking begin!
                How a vendor chooses to do business is THEIR BUSINESS. If they feel they can forgo a trade show it has nothing to do whether they support the industry or not. They may have a product and/or a client base that doesn't require a trade show. Trade shows are tools, not the fricking law.
                If you chose not to buy from a vendor unless you see their stuff on a trade show floor, that is YOUR BUSINESS, but to lump that vendor into a 'anti-haunt industry' category is a bit short sighted.
                On the other hand if we really are going to adopt true mafia ways then I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for hit man for hire. I have watched a whole season of Dexter over the holidays, and I'm itching to kill something.
                Thank you Louis, you beat me to it.

Comment

It's how we choose to do OUR business. I don't support a SINGLE haunt... I support this industry as a whole... having a FULL trade show is one of the ways our industry will continue to grow!

Vendors stop vending... haunts stop buying... both will fail.

Yeah, haunts had a tough year this year... but if your a good BUSINESS person you will NOT slow your haunt down... rather, EXPAND... ADD... and RE-DO!!!! How about this year (2010) haunts go "all out".

Like I said, agree with us or not... I could care less. It's how we think and how we do things. We, again, will not be placing orders with Unit 70. There are newer vendors out their with cool products and awesome custom service that will fill the void. -Tyler
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Our industry will grow due to innovation, new ideas and people like us who love to entertain people by scaring them. How those innovations and ideas get to us in the form of products and services is not written in stone. Trade shows aren't the key to growth of the industry. They are a business tool. One of many. I think they are a useful tool, no doubt, but blackballing a vendor cause they don't attend a show is unwise.
                    The things that will make this industry grow is positive PR and cooperation amongst all the parties involved in this business. Saying to a vendor that they have to do a trade show in order to support the industry is a skewed point of view, in my opinion. The best way for a vendor to support this industry is for them to put their business FIRST so that they don't go out of business. They have to be free to make those business calls for themselves.
                    If you don't support a vendor that you know makes good products just because they didn't attend a show who are you hurting? Not yourself, cause you said you can find the stuff you need with vendors that do show. I think that if it hurts anything it would be the industry, cause it goes toward curtailing diversity and variety among vendors. That is the way I see it.
                    As for Unit 70, they have been in business for a long enough time to know what is good for them and what isn't. I don't think your position will hurt them one way or the other.
                    sigpic
                    Louis Brown
                    Owner, operator, and dish washer
                    at
                    DarkWood Manor

Comment

Lurker!

Well said. Here is how I see it if a vendor chooses not to attend then thats their business. I mean I will miss seeing them but this will in no way affect my decision not to do business with them especially with someone who has a good reputation. Now some new Johnny be good company thats a different story.

Tyler I can for certain tell you your way of thinking is off track big time. My company does holiday decor in over 200 malls in the U.S. and I have not attended a show in over 10 years. Once you have a name and reputation people will buy and buy big. My company has continued to grow and most has been by word of mouth reputation. By me not attending I have in no way hurt myself or the show. Its really the decision of how the vendor chooses to market his product. To me word of mouth is still the best thing there is. Second there is the internet where you can sell 24/7 365 days a year. The shows are a great way to buy but its more about networking and learning and meeting new folks and new vendors thats just starting out. Thats where it starts and ends. Hell I am not knocking the show I do support it but its just 31/2 freeking days and I am sure that with the well established companies this will not hurt them if they don't attend. Lastly the show is about vendors and products it has nothing to do with supporting the industry as a whole we are owners not vendors!

Honestly I don't think at this point Bo or Brady will sell to Tyler they are well aware of his comments towards them so it looks like all he will get for his haunt will be second hand. Its a sad thing too Bo and Brady are the two best guys in the Industry. Tyler will realize his loss one day. Tyler I would ask you if there were 100 shows a year would you attend them all? If you did not attend each and everyone of them then I take it by your own words you would not be supporting the industry. This is not an attack on you Tyler when I was your age I thought I knew everything too. Trust me buddy the older you get the more you will learn to watch and listen as you only get wiser with age. Shane and its I am still a learning 40 year old! Shane this time.
                      Last edited by graystone; 12-28-2009, 07:20 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I agree that we shouldnt blackball a vendor that doesnt come to the shows. Thats not good business for them or us.
                        My point was that the shows offer exposure to new vendors and new haunt owners alike.
                        If we dont know your out there we cant buy from you.
                        Someone walking down an isle of a show may see something at a booth and get an idea for a room and buy the product. OR a vendor walking down an isle may see a product another vendor is making and it may give them an idea sending them in a new direction for his own product line for the coming years.
                        The shows are for sharing ideas and meeting other haunters and buying products.
                        Like I said before, I like to personally see and feel the products so I have an idea of what I am buying.
                        Would I buy from a vendor that doesnt come to the shows? Yes. As long as I know what he sells is what I expect.
                        I understand vendors are hurting and some haunts didnt do well this year but like the saying goes..... Dont cut your advertising and expect for people to know you are in business. These shows are an important tool for your advertising.
                        I would say pick your shows wisely and go to the ones that will make the most business sense for you.
                        In closing I hope all vendors make it to the Transworld show. It seems to be centrally located, a haunters favorite and the show I hope to see grow every year.

Greg
                        Fearfest
                        Last edited by N2SPOOKINU; 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM.
                        Greg Allen
                        scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                        www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Well said Greg!

Bottom line we should support all of our vendors whether or not they attend! They are in business for us so we should support them! Shane and its I got your back guys! Shane this time!
                          sigpic

Comment

What vendors?

Ok, so the question still hasn't been answered, what vendors sent out emails saying they weren't exhibiting?

Chris
                            Chris Stafford
                            1331 Entertainment Group
                            Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                            13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
                            13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

I have bought from unit 70 in the past and in fact I think I bought my first big prop from them back In 2004!! This past year I went to saint louis planning on spending x amount and then ordering about $2500 from unit cause I have the most respect for them. But guess what happened? I found a few brand new vendors that had stuff I liked so I bought from them instead... Of course it is the choice of vendors if they attend but also be aware that you might be losing a customer in the short term for sure perhaps forever......
                              www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Working...
                              X