No announcement yet.

Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I would like to know as well what vendor says they are not going but wants to sell to you anyway?????

Secondly as for Unit 70 I think they are going this year so its a mute point... Unit 70 has changed many gears over the years branching out into Christmas and doing a lot and I mean a lot of custom work for big haunts. They are unlike most other vendors thats for sure... now here is the biggest difference if you are a haunt vendor and you are overloaded with work like Unit 70 then don't go to a tradeshow.

Going to tradeshows is an expense a BIG expense and in some industries still 110% neccessary and if you don't go you lose SALES! I personally wouldn't order from a vendor that didn't go to the show unless I knew them or worked with them in the past or their company has some sort of credibilty.

Last year I ordered a ton of stuff from the new company put together by Robert Kurtzman someone who's been in the special effect business for years... but even his company is going to the haunt show this year!

Personally I think MANY haunt vendors do not understand how to market their business, they might have the greatest product but you have to promote your business by spending money... going to tradeshows, reaching new customers through industry sites or magazines (hint hint) (lol). Some vendors are duped into buying something that doesn't help them and then turns their nose up to things that do... makes no sense!

If you have a product to sell you need to reach NEW customers who finds you or who can bring you the most new customers??? Does it matter if you like them, love them, or whatever? NO... its all business!

Going to the tradeshow is a must if you are serious! Reaching new customers through outlets that attract new haunts is also a must!

Anything that can't bring you NEW eyeballs, SERIOUS eyeballs is worthless... the Transworld Halloween and Attraction show is SERIOUS eyeballs!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

If a vendor doesn't choose to go it's their decision. If a vendor doesn't need to go because they already have enough business then why go? If big haunts are placing huge orders why waste the money to travel and exhibit at the show when its taking away from filling those orders placed by loyal customers in place of a bunch of people buying one or two pieces???

DA

Comment

I agree if you have enough business and you can't handle anymore and you have business locked up for the rest of the year you shouldn't go unless you go as a buyer or whatever. Sure that is a perfect world... how many people have that problem though? LOL

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President

Comment

So if some people aren't going to buy from vendors because they don't attend the tradeshow, would it be fair for vendors not to sell to costumers that don't attend the tradeshows? Because I do recall some people claiming they would stop attending the Transworld show if it moved back to Chicago and they are the same people saying they won't buy from vendors that don't attend. Just curious as to what the difference is.
          Jared Layman

Comment

Wow

Yikes the economy goes bad
            We lose a ton of money
            May lose other things

And I don't support the INDUSTRY???????

You want US to spend $4000 for a show, when it brings us $4000-$5000 in orders????MAYBE???

Forgive my high school education for telling me.......YOU T'AIN'T BE MAKIN MONEY

Greg? You wouldn't order things from me?
            If you wanted to see something or smell it.....would I not make sure you could before you spent big money?

Come on guys let's think about what you are saying.

In general you are right......but stop for a minute and think before you say stuff?
            I do now and look....I hardly post here anymore...lol

We are never going to get rich selling stench.....think about how much you order if you do.
            Some people use this stuff the way it is made to be used....some skate by with a only a little.
            You are both customers.....we LOVE you both
            But.....a $20 order compaired with a $1000 order can make or break a company
            We need to branch out to year round business and a Haunt show is not going to do that.

Costumes? We made some killer suits and I am sure we can make even better stuff.
            But where is the real market? Who has the money now to buy a $3000 costume?
            Everyone is going to do the same thing they always do....sinch up the belt and find away to make it cheap or spend less getting it.

When you put 100 percent effort into what you do......and lose money, you wonder why you do it.

I am not saying we aren't making costumes or not doing anything....we have just started to do things a little different. Imagine what $4000 can do to advertise to people?

Now on to a happy side of life.....since people say I am negative

Merry Christmas to everyone........Happy New Year

I am sad to say I may be in Indianapolis at Horror hound weekend and Maskfest
            Last edited by Ken Spriggs; 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM.
            Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

I wonder if Transworld is still selling those half booths... someone should check on that? I would agree if you are selling smells you probably need to lower your costs for sure... the bottom line is the reason the show was moved to a different city was to SAVE COSTS ... a booth right now is $1200.00 NOT $1700 and NOT $2500 that the Halloween Expo in Houston is charging.

The price for a booth is so very reasonable! Most vendors drive their stuff in so again you save, most vendors set up their own booths, again you save, most vendors sell most of the stuff they bring right there on the show floor, so you walk out with most of your expense covered.

What makes NO SENSE is going to 4 or 5 regional shows and skipping the main show... that makes no sense! Some vendors do that thinking they are either getting more bang for their buck or saving money and you are getting neither!

Its all about cost vs. return how much do you spend how much do you get back... in the case of smells many haunts might see a need for this however wait until late in the summer to order them because they don't need them RIGHT NOW to redesign the haunt, on the flip side if they are buying some big animation from Scarefactory they need that right now.

So in this case you might generate sales LATER for your appearance at the show NOW...

Haunters have THREE buying patterns...

1) Big Haunts: loaded up with cash buy NOW in the winter and save more. Many haunts like mine are not waiting around to see what vendors develop I don't count on them, we develop our own stuff, so we are buying right now. We call vendors to make custom pieces for us so we buy now. There are many year around haunts buying in the winter so they can get a jump on any renovations. Plus many people buy in the winter because they have the money in hand... this is one reason WHY vendors shouldn't give up on marketing their business just because Halloween is over. BIG MISTAKE!

2) Most Haunts: From big to small many haunts wait to see what is made by vendors before buying anything, before renovating their haunts, blah, blah because they want to see what is out there first. They usually buy AT THE SHOW and many count on vendors to lead the way with new ideas. This is the biggest group. So going to the show is very vital.

3) Summer Haunts: Most fund raising haunts, charity haunts, big and mostly smaller haunts buy in the summer and especially the haunts who bounce around from location to location they buy in the middle to late summer for several reasons... A) They just got their location B) They don't have tons of money on hand want to use credit cards, buy now get credit and pay bill in October. C) Last minute finally decided to pull the trigger.

Three buying groups...

Vendors must be active in marketing their business ALL YEAR AROUND! IF THEY DO THEY WILL BEAT OUT THE OTHER VENDORS FOR BUSINESS... THOSE WHO DON"T LOSE OUT! PERIOD!

Lastly, as to the other comment... first off I want to put myself in the area that I never said I wouldn't buy from a vendor who didn't show at the tradeshow, however I did say that if I don't know the vendor very well I probably wouldn't because we've had to many vendors in the past screwing people and I don't want to fall into that boat. Going to the tradeshow is a sign of commitment to what you do. I have bought from vendors who didn't attend as I stated the new company started by the former FX company (KNB).

As for not going to Chicago I personally am not going back there in the winter ever... I do not want to pay $10.00 just to get on the street, $30 dollars for dinner, or $250 for a room... forget that. Vendors will NEVER NOT sell to a buyer because they don't attend a tradeshow but its very realistic that a buyer might not buy from a vendor if they didn't show... WHY... because the SPENT ALL THEIR MONEY!

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

Hmmmm

Funny.......the end all show in St louis is claiming 4000 qualified buyers.....

Koolaid will be sent to each of you
                Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

I think they reported 6000 attended the show through the doors for all three days, I don't think that is unique people, but I would say there was over 3,000 unique people who walked that show how many are qualified buyers well not 3000 I would agree with you there.

However I will give tons of kudos to Tranworld for really promoting the show this year they have gone way beyond the call... again kudos to them! I expect even more qualified buyers this year than last.

I'm VERY disappointed with them for not sticking to their guns on the admission into the show because we don't need people in the show just to copy everything they see, or just snatch catalogs or whatever with no intentions of buying anything.

Vendors pay good money to be at the show and they want to talk to people who want to buy something... I agree.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                    I wonder if Transworld is still selling those half booths... someone should check on that? I would agree if you are selling smells you probably need to lower your costs for sure... the bottom line is the reason the show was moved to a different city was to SAVE COSTS ... a booth right now is $1200.00 NOT $1700 and NOT $2500 that the Halloween Expo in Houston is charging.

The price for a booth is so very reasonable! Most vendors drive their stuff in so again you save, most vendors set up their own booths, again you save, most vendors sell most of the stuff they bring right there on the show floor, so you walk out with most of your expense covered.

What makes NO SENSE is going to 4 or 5 regional shows and skipping the main show... that makes no sense! Some vendors do that thinking they are either getting more bang for their buck or saving money and you are getting neither!

Its all about cost vs. return how much do you spend how much do you get back... in the case of smells many haunts might see a need for this however wait until late in the summer to order them because they don't need them RIGHT NOW to redesign the haunt, on the flip side if they are buying some big animation from Scarefactory they need that right now.

So in this case you might generate sales LATER for your appearance at the show NOW...

Haunters have THREE buying patterns...

1) Big Haunts: loaded up with cash buy NOW in the winter and save more. Many haunts like mine are not waiting around to see what vendors develop I don't count on them, we develop our own stuff, so we are buying right now. We call vendors to make custom pieces for us so we buy now. There are many year around haunts buying in the winter so they can get a jump on any renovations. Plus many people buy in the winter because they have the money in hand... this is one reason WHY vendors shouldn't give up on marketing their business just because Halloween is over. BIG MISTAKE!

2) Most Haunts: From big to small many haunts wait to see what is made by vendors before buying anything, before renovating their haunts, blah, blah because they want to see what is out there first. They usually buy AT THE SHOW and many count on vendors to lead the way with new ideas. This is the biggest group. So going to the show is very vital.

3) Summer Haunts: Most fund raising haunts, charity haunts, big and mostly smaller haunts buy in the summer and especially the haunts who bounce around from location to location they buy in the middle to late summer for several reasons... A) They just got their location B) They don't have tons of money on hand want to use credit cards, buy now get credit and pay bill in October. C) Last minute finally decided to pull the trigger.

Three buying groups...

Vendors must be active in marketing their business ALL YEAR AROUND! IF THEY DO THEY WILL BEAT OUT THE OTHER VENDORS FOR BUSINESS... THOSE WHO DON"T LOSE OUT! PERIOD!

Lastly, as to the other comment... first off I want to put myself in the area that I never said I wouldn't buy from a vendor who didn't show at the tradeshow, however I did say that if I don't know the vendor very well I probably wouldn't because we've had to many vendors in the past screwing people and I don't want to fall into that boat. Going to the tradeshow is a sign of commitment to what you do. I have bought from vendors who didn't attend as I stated the new company started by the former FX company (KNB).

As for not going to Chicago I personally am not going back there in the winter ever... I do not want to pay $10.00 just to get on the street, $30 dollars for dinner, or $250 for a room... forget that. Vendors will NEVER NOT sell to a buyer because they don't attend a tradeshow but its very realistic that a buyer might not buy from a vendor if they didn't show... WHY... because the SPENT ALL THEIR MONEY!

Larry
                    Wasn't talking about you and the argument was said in a different manner than in which you may have taken it. But for god's sake you went to Rosemont for how many years and you still can't find inexpensive rooms and food, lol?
                    Last edited by mindtumor; 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

Hummmmmm

As far as Rosemont goes I will say it again! PRICELINE BABY, PRICELINE! I always stayed at the Doubletree right across from the convention center for way less than half! Shane and its but I am sorry to say there is no Priceline Deals in St. Louis at the Ren Grand this year! Shane this time.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just be careful with priceline. I typed in downtown at louis $63 four star and got the union station 15 blocks away. gonna have to pay like $14 a day in cab fares.
                        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Originally posted by graystone View Post
                          As far as Rosemont goes I will say it again! PRICELINE BABY, PRICELINE! I always stayed at the Doubletree right across from the convention center for way less than half! Shane and its but I am sorry to say there is no Priceline Deals in St. Louis at the Ren Grand this year! Shane this time.
                          Yeah, I agree. I have ALAWAYS used priceline and never paid more than $80 a night in Rosemont and most of the time it is $60. I ALWAYS get nice hotels that aren't far from the convention center.
                          Jared Layman

Comment

Originally posted by xxxdirk View Post
                            Just be careful with priceline. I typed in downtown at louis $63 four star and got the union station 15 blocks away. gonna have to pay like $14 a day in cab fares.
                            I have stayed there once, it isn't too bad of a place.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

Not too worried about the quality of the place, I mean when I am at the conv I only UAE the room to sleep otherwise I am out partying or networking or buying or learning. Just not very convienent being so far away......
                              www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

dirk metrolink runs from your hotel right to the convention center so I would use that to commute to the show and back.

Ken... I consider you guys an established company I would buy from. I never said I wouldnt buy from you. However.... do you think we would have purchased all the costumes from you we did had we not seen them at the show? The answer is no! We saw your costumes BOUGHT SEVERAL OF THEM ON THE SPOT and it gave us a new direction to go in. For that we thank you!
                                Its about seeing things in person that create ideas in haunters minds for future additions.
                                We purchased things last year from vendors we never heard of before and their products were great but had they not been at the convention they would have missed the opportunity to sell us something.
                                Like I said before we cant buy from a company if we dont know they exhist.
                                Thats just my opinion.
                                Greg
                                Fearfest
                                Greg Allen
                                scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                                www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Working...
                                X