New Hauntworld Design...What do you Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hauntworld Design...What do you Think

Couple of things... not only are we doing a totally new redesign of Hauntworld but all of our sites in addition to the new server to ensure Hauntworld doesn't crash in October causing us to lose out on sending you thousands more hits.

Tell me what you think! You will notice all sorts of changes which I hope will help people find more information than ever. Additionally just hired someone who will do NOTHING but upload content new content, articles and more WEEKLY! You'll see... anyway the new site I've uploaded it in two parts so you can see it better otherwise it will be one long thin piece of art that you would not be able to figure out whats what.

Larry
    Attached Files
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

cool!

looks good larry, love the header with the new logo!
    "the boogeyman is real, and you found him"

Comment

Awesome...

Very clean layout. Great revision to the site!!!
      O'Shawn McClendon
      Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Overall I like it, but I would suggest some changes. It might be beneficial to have a section showing most recent threads in the forums, and maybe display that more prominantly. Perhaps moving dynamic content up above those little graphics leading to the other sections of the site. I like the look of those little graphics, but they feel cluttered. Maybe if you move them lower, "below the fold" in design lingo, and spread them out to fill the entire page they won't seem so cluttered. Or perhaps a column down the side for those graphics.

For your sections that show the most recent vids, articles, etc, I'd lose the frames. Might just be my opinion but I HATE frames. Or at least, I hate the apperance of them...so even if those aren't frames, I don't like the scroll bars. Rather than featuring so many recent articles and videos, maybe only show a few and the have a link to view more.

I'd also compact the blog section so it takes up less page width, again lose the scroll bars, and display less of the article so you can display several without scrolling. If people want to know more, they'll click to read more.

I can't comment on the coding since I haven't seen it for the new site, but I took a look at the source for your current design and it's not very accessible. You should look into this since modern websites are taking the trend of designing for all people. Most people have broadband, but some people are using text only browers, and some are using screen readers if they're visually impaired. Using graphics for navigation won't work for either, especially with no alt text. There are ways around this though. You can use CSS to keep your graphical navigation while still having the actual text there for screen readers. Also the coding breaks all sorts of rules for how the different facets of the design are kept separate...but that's getting a little detailed and I think you're not the designer, so PM me if you want more info about that.

But overall I like the style, I like the colors, and aside from the things I mentioned it's pretty cleanly flowing.
        -Rob

Audio Guru
        Lighting Designer

Comment

I like it... but still too busy for OUR customers! I think you forget who HW.com is for... it's not for us haunt owners, it's for our customers! So, why cater to us?

How about HW.com's home page be one thing and one thing only.... a map. Maybe a few links to haunt news, America haunts/TV stuff, and the forums... but no more. If not, then lose the map and keep it a strictly haunt industry site.

We actually got comments from a few customers complaining about this site being to hard to navigate, cluttered, etc. etc.

Bottom line... HW.com needs a complete overhaul from actual site to defining customer base and demographics.

-Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

It couldn't be more organized now... you can't really see the TOC too good but it hardly has ANY links on it now. I think you should like it now. Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

You sure change the layout of this site a lot it seems.
              Jared Layman

Comment

Trying to get it right... I think we have it now. We also renovate our haunts a lot as well.. LOL!

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

Larry,

I think it is way too busy. It seems as if you are trying to fit all of your features on the front page. With a logically laid-out and structured menu, there would be no need to feature each major section of the website on the main page. Your visitors should be able to find what they need via the menu, without having to search through a bunch of unrelated stuff when they visit your main page.

Just my two cents.
                  Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                  Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                    Trying to get it right... I think we have it now. We also renovate our haunts a lot as well.. LOL!

Larry
                    Nothing wrong with constantly trying to improve your work. I guess thats what keeps us going.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

Adam,

I have simplfied this to the point where it couldn't at least in my opinion be more organized, and better look than we've ever done. I think you should hold off judgement until you see exactly what I'm doing with all those art tiles and how all those pages will be organized, what is going in them and what I'm going to make available.

I'm hiring people FULL TIME TO DO NOTHING but add content to my sites WEEKLY... I'm not going to have a ton of links in the header, we've cut almost half of them out and organized them in a different position.

Additionally we have under development www.HauntedHayrides.com www.HalloweenAttractions.com and www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com all of which will get a total content management system, their own content, and everything between.

We will add Hauntworld haunt diretory to the magazine site and the Hayride will get its own directory.

I'm reorganizing all of our assets and directing them to create new and exciting prospects to find new customers for the haunted house industry.

Wait and see...

The new Hauntworld front page should be up within the week!

Larry

PS: THIS FORUM IS TOTALLY GETTING REDONE by the way it won't LOOK NOTHING LIKE this in a week or so!!! I hope you like that as well!
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

It looks much more organized and easier to navigate. It's still busy, but it's kind of hard to fix that considering the size of the website. It could be done though.
                        Spooky Wishes
                        Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

I should have this online within 10 days along with a new forum layout!

Stay tuned!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

I hope the forum is still easy to use. I'm just now used to this one. It seems like most of the time when people change their forum format it makes it slower and not as user friendly.

DA

Comment

Working...
                            X