No announcement yet.

Its Official: Transworld Halloween and Haunt Show is Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After thinking about it, I think a great place for the show to move too would be Texas! The Dallas/Ft Worth area for example. Nice weather, middle of the country, great haunts and attractions. Plus personally I would love to check out a Mavericks game while there!

But, I'm sure they already decided on Vegas so we'll all have to make the most of it.

Allan

Comment

hmm

Gee I haven't missed a show in like 15 years.
      There's always a first.
      Don't get me wrong Vegas in March for my Bday would be nice, but the show is hard enough to pay for in Chicago...and we live here. Now add airfare rental cars and the rest of the stuff.....it isn't going to be worth it anymore.
      I hate to say this......seems more than ever that they don't want to deal with the Mom and Pop haunted houses. I would bet my life that most of the haunts are barely able to afford to send 1 or 2 people to TW as it is, and that is probably driving not flying.

I guess some of the smaller local/traveling shows are going to be doing a bunch more business.

Well i might as well start using the tagline

"COME TO DREAM REAPERS....BEFORE YOU CAN'T ANYMORE"
      Fun while it lasted
      Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

I kinda figured the people in Chicago wouldn't like it, I mean you don't have to do anything but sleep in your own bed and drive home to your own bed at the end of the day. For me it almost the same thing, St. Louis isn't far away, I don't have to fly, when we're done with the show we're driving back the same day. From that stand point I don't like it either.

If I was a huge vendor like a Scarefactory I don't think I'd like it much either, what a trek to go to vegas...might as well have the show in LA.

Now on the other side of the coin...someone says go to Orlando. Well lets be honest now Orlando is all the way in the corner of one side of the country...so whats the difference.

Is it fair for west coast people...NO its not! So if you move it to vegas is it fair for east coast people? NO its not.

Most haunts are east of KC, so this effects most of everyone. Oh well...

If you're a professional you'll be there period! This is your business so you will be there! Period!

Will it take some time to get use to? Yes it will!

But hey IAAPA is going to Vegas in 2009 and then every other year...they've announced a west coast east coast format starting 2009. 2009 they will be in Vegas then Orlando then Vegas then Orlando and so on and so forth. So if I keep going to IAAPA i'll be getting use to going to Vegas.

I'm POSITIVE this effect haunters and probably will keep a lot of haunters away because they like driving. But again if this is a business for you you will be there even if you have to fly...big deal!

Its really not much different, you still have to get hotels, you still have to eat, and in Vegas they have more hotels, more things to eat, more stuff to do, and its not cold. For vendors no unions!

Do I like it? Yes and NO. I don't like it because its further away, because I think fewer people will come and no place to get together after the show, but I like it because hey its Vegas baby!

Who doesn't like Vegas?

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

How about starting East coast trade show???

Start out small and see if it grows??

Yes... I know it is a Headache and half...
          Phantom

Comment

I heard this rumored a year back or so, and as someone who goes to several trade shows a year in Vegas..this will be bittersweet. It will still be a flight for me, I ain't driving for 11 hours again, did it once, that was enough!

And if the convention will be at the Sands, who says we cant take over that hotel! I'm sure they have a place like the bar at the Crown we can loiter in.

So for us, more positive then negative...but I will miss our trip to Chicago. We were know as the idiots from California wearing shorts, now we are just going to be the idiots from California!
            Heartstoppers
            Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
            www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

I guess this news means that MHC will grow! IDK... Vegas? It seems, distant. LOL! -Tyler
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

This is all I have to say about the move.

Bright light city gonna set my soul
                Gonna set my soul on fire
                Got a whole lot of money thats ready to burn,
                So get those stakes up higher
                Theres a thousand pretty women waitin out there
                And theyre all livin devil may care
                And Im just the devil with love to spare
                Viva las vegas, viva las vegas
                Gary
                Midnight Evil Productions
                www.MidnightEvil.com
                Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
                www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

I think Nightgore is correct... smaller shows like MHC could end up having more people attend who don't attend TW. On the other hand I still think TW will stay the home for the haunted vendor and buyers, but it could lose a lot of that haunted hangout kinda feel.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

I think it can go both ways. It may lose some of the "Haunter" feel, but can be successful in Vegas on a tradeshow level.

In my other job, I have been to many shows out that way and it is less interactive and personable, but numbers in sales are good.

But then you have to look at the average buyer too. Many may not fly out that way and will just resort to buying from the site or catalog.

Most of what buyers do like is the after hours activities that Vegas will lack. Yes, there is Vegas shows, acts etc. But it won't have the Haunter feel. So with that, many may feel why go, just buy from the catalog.

So there are pros and cons.

Now for the Halloween Costume and Party Show, it will flourish. That place will be gold for it. I mean most of those people are wholesalers, buyers etc and do their own thing at night anyhoo. So in that respect its a good move.

Now do I personally like the idea. No. I think a Haunt show, Trade or Con needs to be representative of what it is. And Vegas doesn't cry buy me, buy me come all haunters.

A cold Chicago or Hauntcons, MI this year, or MHC does. Its true to where haunts take place. THeir market, their target audiences and where they feel at home.

But then again thisi all my opinion.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
                    http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
                    "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
                    http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

I could also see haunters from that side of the country attending more, since Chicago was far away for them. They're probably screaming... "about time!'. LOL! I guess I need to start a savings account NOW for next years show! -Tyler
                      Chris Riehl
                      Sales@spookyfinder.com
                      (586)209-6935
                      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Yes there are pros and cons but lets just put out the facts...

The #1 most attended IAAPA show as in New Orleans...why? Because it appeals to adults who want to have fun as well as see their industry show. When they have the show in Atlanta its all time low...why? Because there is nothing to do in Atlanta.

So whats the point...the point is that taking the show to Vegas is going to mean more professional turnout for vendors. Amusement parks no longer go to Chicago, just bored I guess, I guess "ORDER OUT OF CATALOGS' like you said...

Vegas will change that for sure... instead of ordering out of a catalog they'll go to the show. Vegas is the excuse to go!!!

Facts are facts...Chicago is cold, Chicago is boring in the winter, Rosemont's not even in Chicago, not enough hotels, hotels cost too much, not enough places to eat, its just an all around NON draw for a tradeshow.

There is a reason why ALL tradeshows are moving to Orlando and Vegas...don't kid yourself before its all said done all tradeshows will be in these two cities for good reason. The city itself is a draw as is the show itself. Chicago in the winter is NO draw! Vegas is a draw anytime, everytime, everyday, anyday.

Yes the 'haunted' feeling will be gone, and it will be replaced by a business feel, where attraction owners and buyers with money to spend deal with vendors ready to supply product. Thats what a tradeshow is suppoe to be!

I still think you'll find TONS of haunt fans showing up and running around with blood dripping down their face, just not as many. After the show is done for the day, people will hit the shows, dine, and have fun. Nothing wrong with that.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Yeah I agree. As I said, I have attended many shows in Vegas for business and it is sales and sales.

I think over all, in the end, there is a market for Haunters and Business Vendors at shows like Hauntcon and MHC, and TW is more business end.

We will see how the turnout is from the buyers. Its a reason to go yes, is it a drive, or flight yes. But then again, if you were on the WEst Coast isn't Midwest a drive or flight?

Its going to affect some no matter what. Do I personally like it, no, I am in WI. Its easy to get to and Buy and now vend. But business is business and there are reasons behind decisions.

I have been to Vegas many times and am bored of it. Yes there is tons to do there, TONS. But after going to tradeshows there for years, I am burnt out on the scene. Maybe its the fatherhood and old age kicking in.

I think it'll be a hard move for TW, but in the end work itself out as all things do and work for the Industry.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
                          http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
                          "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
                          http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

Do you know what the REAL bottom line is???

The real bottom line is ANYONE who's running a haunted house, or using Halloween as a ways of income, extending an amusement season, or whatever IS GOING TO TW no matter if they move it to Alaska.

As an attraction owner I could go a year or two without going to IAAPA...nothing ever seems to change there. Its a different kind of show for sure... its not as much about new product as it is about cutting deals.

The TW Haunt show is about seeing NEW product, and the end user the haunt owner WANTS new product! You can't get that ANYWHERE ELSE!

Haunters will be in Vegas, drive, fly, train, or walking they'll be there!

Will some haunters bring a small entourage, yes! Will some horror/haunted fans stop coming due to costs, yes! Will some still come, yes! Will it stop anyone trying to make a living from haunting from coming...NO!

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

Like anything else, change is difficult. I'm sure the vendors will adjust. I think it may balance out because casual people wiil go just for the Vegas thing and the die-hards will go anywhere. Being from CT. nothing is convenient, but this will be my 10th year attending the show. I think you'll see buses filled with haunters coming from certain areas like Ohio and Illinios. Now that would be a great road trip.

I hope we don't loose the gathering aspect of it. I think we'll need to make sure we have a headquarter hotel with a nice set-up like the Crown had for us so the haunted feel doesn't go away. What should be done is an array of scheduled events and gatherings. We can all hang out and maybe we can go to shows or events as a group.

I'll take the warmth but I will miss Dreamreapers.

Wayne

Comment

There is the draw of Vegas over Chicago.... come on... EVERYONE has a trade show in Vegas or Orlando.... why not go where the events are....

And then simply the huge numbers of people who attend on the weekend of TW that are just there to mingle and see the sights. It is a trade show. A move to Vegas would equal less people who spent more money to get there.....Money to attend equals money to buy. In that way Vegas can filter for them......

This does suck for smaller events. Though you never got the feel TW was really in it for them anyway. That's why there is a MHC. MHC is for the core of the industry, the regular haunt guy/girl. TW has been moving away from the haunt industry for years now.... so for them to move to Vegas and give more room to an event that caters to haunters like MHC may be the best thing for everyone, when this all happens.... though.....it will be sad to see it go...
                                http://www.innerfears.com/
                                http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Working...
                                X